Travel Information

Service Charge & Tax

The service charge customary charges 10% service fee in hotel or restaurant. Foreigners who work legally in Taiwan are required to file an income tax return in May each year. The deadline is May 31. For guidelines on how to file taxes as a foreigner, please contact:

‧Taipei National Tax Administration
‧Kaohsiung National Tax Administration

Public Holidays

January 1st Foundation on Day of the ROC
January 1st, 2nd and 3rd (lunar calendar) Chinese New Year
February 28th Peace Memorial Day
April 5th Tomb Sweeping Day
May 5th (Lunar calendar) Dragon Boat Festival
August 15th (Lunar calendar) Mid-Autumn Festival
October 10th Double Tenth National Day


*Taiwan uses electric current supply of 110 volts at 60 Hz, appliances from Europe, Australia or South-East Asia will need an adaptor or transformer. Many buildings have sockets with 220 volts especially for the use of air conditioners.


For more information about International direct dialing, please check the link as follow:

Information for Foreign Mountaineers

Before entering into highly restricted mountain areas, foreign mountaineers are asked to apply for entrance permits. If necessary, the ROC Mountain Association can arrange an English guide for a group of more than 4 members. But for those mountain areas less restricted, the local police stations are responsible for the issue of B Class entrance permit. The applicants have to provide their personal IDs or passports.

What's the procedure to apply for an entrance permit? The applicant has to submit an application form with the attachment of passport or alien residence permit, ID or any approval documents issued by competent authorities, to the Police Affairs Department, local police stations or the police team in the National Parks. But if the foreign visitor applies for the permit in company with a ROC citizen for a same reason, he can follow the same procedures of the ROC people.

‧Apply for a Foreigner's Mountain Pass
Where to apply? Foreign Affairs Section of your local police bureau's Application procedure. Fill out one application form Present following materials:

Passport, visa, or alien resident certificate (for inspection)
Certification of reason for entering mountains
Processing fee of NT$10
Processing time: Immediate

For further details, please check with National Police Administration at Tel: +886-2-2357-7377

‧Application of Entrance Permit
‧National Police Agency, Ministry of The Interior